layout

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Not Your Average Tart

You know how you wake up some mornings and you seem destined to have a bad day? Like when you start your car and as you pull out of your driveway you have 35 miles until empty, which should be plenty of gas to get you to the gas station or maybe even work. But when you get to the end of the street and you look down you now only have 8 miles to empty! Yeah that happened to me. And if that's not bad enough when I finally did make it to the gas station (barely) my debit card refused to work. Oh not a problem, I thought, I will just grab the credit card....oh wait Joel (my husband) still has it. Well I never carry cash and the sign in the window clearly stated "NO CHECKS". So at this point I had 2 miles until empty and I was actually considering walking the twenty miles to work, but something random and ironic happened that changed my whole day. Running On Empty played on the radio. Not only did this song sum up my morning and give me something to sing along to, but it also gave me just enough motivation to think I could make the trip back home to get the credit card and attempt the drive back to the gas station. I don't know how, but a miracle occured and I made it. Thankfully the rest of the day wasn't so bad either.... so here is to you Jackson Browne! Too bad that song didn't fix my debit card when it didn't work at the Mexican restaurant later that day. Sheesh.
I am thinking maybe I would have felt better if I started my day off with one of these chocolaty squares of awesomeness. All I have to say is I will never look at a boxed toaster pastry the same way again. I had some leftover dough from my Peach Tart and added melted chocolate. You could always make your own pie dough and fill with fruit preserves (or even better Nutella) but I just used what was handy. And in this case handy was also tasty.

Homemade Pop-Tarts

  • Pie Crust (refrigerated or homemade)
  • Jam, Preserves, Melted Chocolate Chips, Nutella (its your choice!)
  • 1 egg mixed with 1 tablespoon of water for egg wash

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees

Unroll one of the pie crusts and square the edges. Cut into rectangles. Place 1 tsp of filling in the center of a rectangle and top with another piece of crust. Make sure to leave space around the edges.
Crimp all four edges using fork. Repeat until all of the pie crust is used. (you can shape the trimmings into a square so you wont waste any dough) Brush egg wash over top and edges of tart
Bake the pop-tarts for about 8-10 minutes or until slightly brown. Once cool top with chocolate or glaze.

Enjoy!

Right before baking


Finished Product

Yum!


Listening To:

Phoenix-Lisztomania
Pixies-Where Is My Mind?
Sia-Breathe Me
Silversun Pickups-Panic Switch

No comments:

Post a Comment