layout

Sunday, June 27, 2010

The Peachy Life

One of the main reasons I decided to start this blog because I really felt like I was blowing up my social networking site with pictures of my food. I thought to myself..."Self, why not put all of your recipes and adventures in one neat little package?" So here it is. :)
This last week at work was probably one of the most stressful weeks I have been through in a long time. It was a very wise move on my part to decide a week or two ago to take Friday off. This gave me time to go look for some furniture that I have been needing for a long time. Namely a bookshelf. Between my cookbooks and my favorite first editions my dad sends me, my home has turned into a library. Well a library with no bookshelves, just books stacked everywhere. You may wonder why I need a day off for this. Let me explain a little bit the area I live in. I live in BFE there is nothing around us. The closest drugstore or grocery store is twenty minutes away. So for furniture we were looking at about forty-five minute to an hour drive. And sadly my search turned up nothing but my intense yearning for a HUGE flat screen. But according to my husband, "We just aren't in the market for a TV." Thank goodness he keeps me grounded.
But on this trip I was inspired by some beautiful peaches at the grocery store. I decided that these beautiful fragrant orbs would be the star in my next creation. And let me tell you I did not make a mistake. This Open-Face Peach Tart was delicious and soooo easy! Make it...I dare you!

Open-Faced Peach Tart
Adapted from Sunny Anderson's Open-Faced Plum Tart

6 ripe peaches peeled and sliced
1/4 cup peach preserves
1 (9 inch) refrigerated pie crust
1 egg plus 1 tablespoon water whisked for egg wash
1/4 cup pure cane sugar (plain granulated is ok too)
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp honey

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Remove pie crust from refrigerator 10 minutes before using to soften slightly. Line a baking sheet with parchment. Unfold pie crust onto baking sheet. Spread peach preserves on crust leaving a 2-inch border around the edges. Toss sliced peaches with sugar, cinnamon and honey. Spread peaches on top of the jam. Fold edges over leaving the center exposed and press slightly to seal. Brush outside of the pie dough with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar.

Bake until dough is cooked through and golden, about 35 minutes.

Serve warm with ice cream.




Listening To: Live, Airborne Toxic Event, Bush

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness Alex... I am in Germany with Stephan's parents and absolutely cannot let his mom see that you've made a blog about cooking or she will immediately swap me out for you as a daughter in law! This looks amazing and maybe I'll try to win some points by doing a little peach tart baking next time I'm the hostess of my in-laws. Thanks for the inspiration Alex. Keep on truckin'... or bakin' as it may be. :) XO Your sort-of California cousin in-law, Amanda

    ReplyDelete