layout

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Out of Hibernation and ready for some Whoopie...Pies.

Ok so wow!! Almost two months of no posts. This has lowered my blogging status to super lame. But as you all have read I have been a little under the weather thanks the the human being I am currently growing. :) Well I am now alsomt 15 weeks along and am finally feeling better! No more gagging as the though of food. No more running away from smelly things. And thankfully I have my appetite back! Oh goodness...this has been one of the worst experiences a foodie can go through. But I know it is all worth the end result! And what is extra awesome is that the "little nugget" is due on my birthday! What an awesome birthday present.

"Little Nugget"



So now since I have my appetite I am ready an rearing to go. Now I am gonna come clean and say that I did make this recipe a week or two ago but I did not get to enjoy them.....sadness! But I figured I need to post these bits of red velvety awesomeness because, well, they are awesome! I had never attempted to make a whoopie pie before so this was interesting. They acutally had more of the consistency of an oatmeal pie but they were still pretty tasty. I made a marshmallow/cream cheese buttercream concoction for the filling and I think that is what pushed them over the top. My husband and his family gobbled them up while I watched in misery. So here they are! Red Velvet Whoopie Pies....Enjoy :)

Red Velvet Whoopie Pies

Cookies:
1 ounce semisweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 ounce milk chocolate, chopped
12 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup sour cream
2 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon red food coloring
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Filling:
4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
8 oz cream cheese
2 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
2 heaping table spoons marshmallow fluff

Make the cookies: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Combine the semisweet and milk chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave at 50 percent power until melted, about 2 minutes. Whisk until smooth. Whisk the melted butter, sour cream, eggs, vinegar, vanilla and food coloring in a bowl until combined. In another bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture in four equal batches, whisking each batch completely before adding the next. Stir in the melted chocolate. Scoop heaping tablespoonfuls of batter onto the prepared baking sheets and smooth the tops with a damp finger. Bake until the cookies spring back when lightly pressed, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes on the baking sheets, then transfer to racks to cool completely.
Meanwhile, make the filling: Beat the cream cheese, marshmallow fluff and butter with a mixer until smooth. Beat in the confectioners' sugar. Sandwich a heaping tablespoonful of filling between 2 cookies; repeat with the remaining cookies and filling. Refrigerate 30 minutes before serving.
Source: Food Network


Yum!!



P.S. To all my followers....thanks for coming back and reading! I missed you all....and your awesome food.




1 comment:

  1. That'll be awesome if you have the "little nugget" on your birthday! Glad to hear you are doing well and most importantly you have your appetite back.
    Have a great day and take care.

    ReplyDelete