layout

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Potato Gnocchi with Tomatoes and Kalamata Olives

I am not Italian...I just love Italian food. I don't know how to cook authentic Italian but I really try. Being a Hispanic girl I love posole, enchiladas, and a fresh tortilla more than anything. And yes it sometimes irks me when people butcher the authentic Mexican recipes....but I understand that it is so hard to emulate a food style that doesn't often use written recipes. It is all about the experience and knowledge learned in the kitchen.  I fully plan on going back to my roots and start blogging about the delicious food I grew up watching my Nana and Tias make. But I guess for now I am just going to butcher some Italian recipes hehe sorry. I could also be craving Italian food because Giada will be in Kentucky in approximately a week and I feel some inspiration reading her recipes. Sadly I will not be able to attend the food show she will be at thanks to my job and a charity costume party I will be attending. But I will be there in spirit plus I doubt they would let me in with my Lady Gaga costume.
When I started making this recipe I really expected my husband to not like it, but he loved it. Of course he asked. "Is there any way you could add meat to this?" I should have expected that.Other than the gnocchi this was an easy recipe. The sauce was very easy to make and my house smelled like heaven. I had no gnocchi left over but plenty of sauce. The leftover sauce totally has a date with some pizza crust and parmesan cheese. Enjoy!

Potato Gnocchi with Tomatoes and Kalamata Olives
One batch of  Basic Potato Gnocchi
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 red onion chopped
2 cloves garlic chopped
4 pepperoncini chopped
1 cup chopped fresh tomato
1 15 oz can crushed tomatoes
½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 6oz jar pitted kalamata olives, chopped
½ cup chopped fresh basil
Salt and pepper to taste
Shredded parmesan cheese

Warm olive oil in saucepan over medium low heat. Add onions, garlic and pepperoncini and cook until onions are soft. Once onions are soft (about 5 minutes) add fresh tomato, can of crushed tomato and red pepper. Let simmer for about 10 minutes stirring occasionally. After simmering add chopped kalamata olives and basil. Continue to simmer for five more minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve over your potato gnocchi and top with parmesan cheese. Devour!
Source: About.com for Gnocchi and Sauce is an Alex original


I really ate way too much of this


The sauce totally made the dish


Listening To:
Loser-Beck
These Arms Of Mine-Otis Redding
Hey Jealousy-Gin Blossoms
Fell On Black Days-Soundgarden
Come Rain Or Come Shine -Ray Charles
Against the Wind-Bob Seger

1 comment:

  1. I love gnocchi, and the packaged ones are so good. Love this tomato/kalamata olive recipe. Yumm!

    BTW...you've been tagged, to answer 8 question I have for you. Please answer them on a separate page on your blog, and select 7 bloggers with your own questions. Thank you, for participating!


    Here are my 8 questions to 7 bloggers, that I will be tagging.







    1. What is your all time favorite comfort food?




    2. What kind of foods did you take to school, for lunch? (any grade)




    3. What is your favorite all time cooking show on T.V... past or present...and why?




    4. Which celebrity, famous person, or famous chef, would yo invite to your next holiday party in

    your home, and why?




    5. Which holiday you love the most?




    6. If you won an all expense paid trip for ten days to the choice of the official Top 3 wine regions

    which of the 3 would you pick? 1.) Bordeaux, France, 2.) Tuscany Italy,

    or Napa Valley, California (these are in their actual order on the top 10 favorites)




    7. What kind of food you absolutely hated, growing up, as a young child, or teenager.




    8. What was the most dreaded dish that you prepared and said you would never prepare it again?




    Finished my Links, and will be tagging you good people!

    Any one that would like to jump on the "bandwagon"...please, do so!




    1. spoon-and-chopsticks

    2. dreams of sugarplums

    3. brenda's canadian kitchen

    4. food fun freak

    5. susi's kitchen

    6. patty-a day with me

    7. deba roo roo

    ReplyDelete